Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Market Days



Today we Sisters decided to kick off 2016 in a fun way!  We spent the day going from one craft vendor to another just to see what's out there.   That's not usually a normal activity for us but, we were all game for and adventure and we really enjoyed our day!
                                                                           
Welcome 2016!
Car parts anyone?  These guys are selling parts.....
....everywhere.
Roadside Marketing
We took a wrong turn.  Now we are headed into the market place near Adum.  Each town has their own market days.  It happened to be on this day.  I told Sister Cosgrave that I love to go with her on her adventures because I get to see lots of places that Elder Halladay would never go!  :-)
See the men in uniform, they are policemen.  They carry loaded rifles everywhere they go.  I'm not sure why they think they have to go to that extreme.  Its a show of force I guess.
Market Vendors set up everywhere.  Mind you, we are trying to drive on this road.
  The crowds were unbelievable.  It was of course extremely crowded because of market day there.  The wall you see is covered with shorts and shirts.  I'm not sure how they make them stick there.  Maybe they're on bars or something.
See the cute little child in the metal wash pan?  This was on a side street that was a bit less crowded.  I love that these women seem to be taking a break together in their busy day.  The women here work very hard all day long!
Kente village weaving stations in the village of  Bonwire (pronounced bone ray).


We visited the wood carving village where there are many different carvers that all want you to view and purchase their products.  There's lots to see there!  Every shop is packed full of beautiful carved canes, benches, masks, bowls, animals, etc
The wood carvers all swarm you because they want to show you their items for sale.  It can get a bit crazy!  One man got pretty upset with me because I didn't follow him to his shop.  He wanted to know when I'd come again so I told him MAYBE Saturday.....he said he'd be waiting for our return.  :-/   I think I'm gonna need a nap...




2 comments:

  1. The market places there in Ghana resemble the Bazar's in Iran, except the merchandise in a just little different. Love your posts. Clyde

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures are wonderful and your descriptions great. amazing intricate work, and FYI ,, I would love to go to market with you, but not in a car!! crazy. Love you.

    ReplyDelete